Virginia Workers Compensation:
Why Do You Need to Consult a Lawyer?
If you are injured on your job, it is often necessary to
consult an attorney. This is especially the case if you have a severe injury
that costs you your job or has resulted in a permanent impairment. You need
to consult an attorney if the following occurs:
1. If the claims adjuster calls you and wants to take a recorded
statement, you should consult a lawyer.
2. If you have suffered a number of injuries in your accident and the
claims adjuster sends you an agreement form that does not cover all your
injuries, you need to consult a lawyer.
3. If your claim is denied by the claims adjuster, you need to consult an
4. If the claims adjuster has filed a request for a hearing with the
Virginia Workers Compensation Commission, then you need to consult an
5. If you are sent interrogatories, then you need to consult an attorney.
6. If you are offered a settlement, you need to consult an attorney.
7. If you discover you are being video taped by a private detective, you
need to consult an attorney.
8. If the claims adjuster refuses payment of a medical bill you incurred
as a result of your accident, then you need to consult an attorney.
9. If the claims adjuster refuses to authorize reasonable and necessary
medical treatment, then it may be necessary to consult an attorney.
10. If you did your own hearing and lost, you need to consult an attorney
regarding an appeal but please consult the attorney before the hearing.
Finally, claimants need to be aware that attorneys specialize like
doctors. Thus, one should not just consult any attorney but preferably
consult one who specializes in workers compensation law.
This may be considered AN ADVERTISEMENT or Advertising Material under the
Rules of Professional Conduct governing lawyers in Virginia. This note is
designed for general information only. The information presented in this
note should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of
a lawyer/client relationship.
Gerald G. Lutkenhaus--has been doing workers compensation in Virginia for
over 30 years. In the July 1999 issue of Richmond Magazine he was rated one
of the Best Attorneys for Workers Compensation in Central Virginia. In 2003
he was giving the rating of AV by Martindale Hubbell.
You can get more information from